Thursday, March 5, 2009

Departures from the Isle of Work...




Yesterday marked my last day in my library job for some ten months as I go on maternity leave.
I still can’t quite believe I won’t be heading into StKilda every day and talking up a blue streak with my colleagues.
It was a crazy week too, with some big changes to my team (to be revealed soon) meaning I actually interviewed (ask me no questions I’ll tell you no lies) to go back to work in a different position come end of year. I was so hyped up I thought my waters might burst and the bosses would have to get me off to the labour ward!
But its done now and yesterday left me feeling strangely sentimental. After so many years trying to conceive, suffering three miscarriages and believing I’d never leave to have a baby, it now becomes real: when I return it will be as a ‘working Mother’.
I’ll miss everyone, particularly Bunny-man, Wize-Womon, Stig, Noreen the Possum, Curly-Kat and Gypsy-Chic. Hugo the Cat will also have to find himself a new milk-bowl monitor...
Until this business of labour begins I plan to spend my days visiting the lovely Sun cinema in Yarraville to see all the Oscar films, and dawdling around the permanent collections at the National Galleries in town.

I suspect there will be some polishing too, and maybe some cleaning of cornices with a toothbrush or fixating on cobwebs with broom in hand…
Why clean I do not know as everyone keeps warning me of a new bub’s scary capacity to turn itself into a Catherine wheel of faecal flares!

3 comments:

Gravity and Grace said...

enjoy those movies. Hope all goes well.
curious aboot those library changes
keep us informed

proud womon said...

I'm intrigued by thos library changes tooo.... how could you leave us in so much suspense 'Lil??? sorry I didn;t get to see you before you finished up though... will have to catch up - maybe one day when you're thinking of 'dawdling' around the city??? coffee maybe??? you've got a big learning curve coming up woman... enjoy it - you've got a good attitude to it all... enjoy your space and time while pondering the future...

proud womon said...

thanks for your comment babe...

sounds like a very fitting way to spend womyns day... and companionably wonderful!!!

and i'll know soon enough what's going to be happening i'm sure...

but now it's time for you to forget about work and enjoy your time at home before your wee'un arrives!!!!

catch up soon...